The views, information, or opinions expressed in the Industry News RSS feed belong solely to the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDEX Health & Science and its employees.
Article obtained from Photonics RSS Feed.
Researchers at Osaka University have developed a light-driven process for oxidizing polypropylene (PP), a widely used plastic, without creating waste.
The process uses a reactive chlorine dioxide radical to make the plastic reactive. PP is normally an unreactive material; however, the researchers made a highly reactive radical by mixing sodium chlorite and hydrochloric acid. The radical was then photochemically activated using an LED lamp as the light source.
Surface oxygenation of side-chain methyl groups in polypropylene under photoirradiation with chlorine dioxide. Courtesy of Osaka University.
As a result of the process, while the bulk polymer remained intact, its surface showed a multitude of carboxylic acid groups that…